Many occasions require a lot of ice and the ice trays can only get you so far. Check out our list to find out the best ice maker machine for home use.
Top Ice Maker Machine for Home: Main Summary
Below are the 9 best household ice makers that we would like to recommend to you.
- OYLUS Commercial Ice Maker – Best Overall: Sitting at the top of the list is the commercial-grade, two-water-inlet OYLUS ice maker. This machine has high ice-making efficiency and a large capacity. It has many useful features like ice cube size and thickness setting and safety indicator light. The device also comes with a full set of accessories.
- Euhomy Countertop Ice Maker – Best Customizable Ice Maker: The runner-up is a Euhomy product that is perfect for customized ice cubes. Its LCD, electronic controls, and timer are very smart and convenient. The machine is very productive in quick cycles and runs at a low level of noise. The ice is not broken up nicely right off the mold though.
- ODEC Countertop Ice Maker – Best Portable Option: This is an energy-saving, compact ice maker which is suitable for countertop and portable use. It offers two size options of bullet ice and a self-cleaning function. But the ice in storage melts quickly.
- Magic Chef Portable Ice Maker – Best Budget: The compact unit is the most affordable on the list. It has good speed but is noisy.
- GE Profile Opal Nugget Ice Maker – Best for Nugget Ice: The machine makes chewable nugget ice fast and is easy to use and clean. It can sync to smartphones but has mediocre buttons and is expensive.
- Merax Sentern Ice Maker – Best for Clear Ice Cubes: This ice maker produces crystal clear ice cubes in three sizes. Its efficiency is impressive for its size. You’ll need to break up the ice sheets.
- Frigidaire Stainless Ice Maker – Best for Bullet Ice: The product pumps out large thick ice pellets in three sizes. It doesn’t have a self-cleaning mode and refrigerated storage.
- Igloo Automatic Ice Maker – Best Quiet Option: A great device for households that require quietness and moderate to low ice production. But it doesn’t have an indicator light or timer.
- Scotsman CU50GA Ice Maker – Best Undercounter Option: This is a durable, heavy-duty ice maker that can work outdoors and under-counter. It makes slow-melting ice and has a useful water-quality sensor. But it is very noisy while running.
A Buying Guide for The Best Ice Maker Machine for Home
This guide will tell you how to look for the best ice maker machine for home use.
Production and Capacity
The first two things to consider are the ice production and the storage capacity of the machine. If you frequently host parties or have friends coming over, a commercial-grade ice maker should be the choice. Otherwise, a countertop compact machine is enough for your family’s daily use.
Speed is another important aspect. When you are having a lot of guests to serve, you would want a machine that can keep up with your demand, especially if its capacity is not great.
Shape and Quality of the Ice
There are few different types of ice that household ice makers often offer, like bullet, nugget, cube, sphere, or crescent. Different types of ice are preferably paired with different kinds of dinks. So it is ideal to get a machine that can give you ice in multiple shapes.
Uncontaminated, clear ice is what spirits enthusiasts hold in high regard. The thickness of the ice also can affect the taste of your drink. In some ice makers, you can customize this aspect of the ice.
Usually, household ice makers either are countertop or under-counter. Countertop ice makers are compact, portable machines with lesser production and capacity. While the second type can produce ice at a commercial level but is heavier and bulkier.
Some additional features that are popular among customers include an automatic timer, ice customization, and self-cleaning mode. An ice maker which can work as a water dispenser is certainly convenient too.
Full Reviews of Top 3 Ice Maker Machines for Home
These are in-depth reviews of the top three spots.
#1 OYLUS Commercial Ice Maker – Best Overall
This is a well-rounded ice-making machine with more than enough ice production for family use. It is also sufficient in fast ice making. You will get 32 pieces of ice only after about 10 minutes.
The product lets you adjust your ice in three different sizes and thicknesses. It has a safety indicator light to prevent overflow and dry running.
OYLUS provides a full set of accessories with this product. You can either connect it to a faucet with the included pipe. The other water inlet method is placing a water bottle on top of the machine.
One thing that you may find problematic about this device is the vacuum blockage in the bottled water inlet. Just shake it a bit once in a while.
- High efficiency
- 3 sizes and thicknesses of ice cubes
- Automatic protection function
- Included accessories
- Blockage in the secondary water inlet
#2 Euhomy Countertop Ice Maker – Best Customizable Ice Maker
As the first choice, this machine offers a 3 level of ice thickness. What makes it perfect for ice customization is its smart LCD and controls.
The digital push-button is easy to read and straightforward. The timer and indicator light will help with on-time ice production as well.
This is also one of the quietest devices on the list. You won’t notice it running in the background and after about 15 minutes you will have 24 ice cubes of your choice.
One downside with this ice maker is you will have to break up the ice manually.
- Customizable thickness
- User-friendly control
- Need to break up the ice
#3 ODEC Countertop Ice Maker – Best Portable Option
If you want something small enough to carry around, this product is for you. It has a wide application thanks to its size and weight.
This compact unit doesn’t require a lot of energy and can pump out bullet ice in two sizes at a respectable speed. It has a self-cleaning feature for your convenience.
A minus point about this item is the ice in storage melts down fairly quickly and starts sticking together.
- Compact design
- Energy saving
- Self-cleaning feature
- Two sizes of bullet ice
- Not cold enough storage
Frequently Asked Questions
Now we will answer some FAQs from customers.
How Does An Ice Maker Operate?
The first step is pumping water into the molds. Then the machine will start the freezing progress with a compressor and a fan or some prongs. When the progress is done, the device will heat the prongs or the molds to release the ice.
Depending on the product, each ice-making cycle ranges from 5 to 20 minutes. And with most portable ice makers, you need to fill up the water reservoir yourself.
How to Clean An Ice Maker?
Remember to unplug the device first. Then you can start emptying the reservoir of any water. It is recommended to use a little vinegar and lukewarm water to clean the ice bin.
If you haven’t spilled any drink on the exterior, a simple wipe down with a wet cloth is enough. Clean off all residual water afterward and let everything dry completely before putting them together.
You should let the machine run a couple of cycles and throw away the ice. Or if there is a cleaning option, hit it.
How to Fix An Ice Maker?
These are some simple troubleshooting that you should do before paying for a professional repair. You should start with checking the power cord for damage or accidental removal.
Then you can move on to the water reservoir. Make sure it is not empty and the water sensor works normally by cleaning it.
To fix water blockage, remove and thoroughly clean the water filters. You should check the pipes and water lines as well.
Our choice for the best ice maker machine for home use is the OYLUS Commercial Ice Maker. It is because of its superior production, useful function, and included accessories.
Euhomy Countertop Ice Maker is also a great option if you are looking for a user-friendly unit to make customizable ice cubes.